Friday, March 25, 2011

There is a Harvest to be Reaped!

Do you ever just get tired of doing the same everyday tasks of life?  For a mother, these tasks can sometimes seem tiresome, overwhelming, monotonous, boring, hard, stressful... Are you with me?

I woke up this morning and said to my husband, "It's Friday!" Then right after that came, "But that doesn't mean anything for me, because my Saturday and Sunday are just as busy as my Monday through Friday." I guess you could say that I didn't wake up with the best outlook. I think I was still just extremely tired from a big day yesterday.  Thursdays wear me out!

Let me just get this out of my system: You see, yesterday afternoon, after searing and putting a tenderloin in the crock pot for our dinner, I drove to take the kids to band (15 minute drive from the house), then back home because I forgot to put a little bit of water in the crock pot with the meat so it wouldn't dry out, then drove back to pick them up from band, then drove across town to take one to violin, then drove just around the corner to take one to the theater, then back to pick up the one from violin, then drove back across town to drop her off at softball practice, then went further across town to take son to baseball practice, then right back across town to the theater! Thankfully my wonderful husband picked up the two from softball and baseball practice. I left the theater at 6:30 and came back home to finish supper.  See why I was tired? Sorry for that little rant, I feel better now!

Let's just say I didn't wake up feeling very motivated to do anything because I am still TIRED!

However, I asked the Lord to speak to me this morning and help me have the motivation that I need to keep going.  This is what he gave me:

Galatians 6:9
Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up.

I know that what I am doing as a mother - yes, even carting kids back and forth across town - is "doing good". For you see, I am not really just carting them around.  It's much deeper than that! I am encouraging them in their talents. I am listening to them. And we are having life building conversations in the car. This reminds me of the scripture in Deuteronomy 6.

Deuteronomy 6:5-9
Love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength. These commandments that I give you today are to be upon your hearts. Impress them on your children. Talk about them when you sit at home and when you walk along the road, when you lie down and when you get up. Tie them as symbols on your hands and bind them on your foreheads. Write them on the doorframes of your houses and on your gates.

I guess driving them to their practices is my "walk along the road" time with them. So in light of this scripture, I see a bigger calling than being their chauffer. 

My encouragement to you is that as you go about your daily "chores", make sure you are talking to your kids about loving the Lord with all their heart, soul, and strength. If we as moms can continually teach this truth to our children, if we can stay encouraged, and if do not grow weary in doing good, THEN we will reap a harvest. I want to reap the harvest that God gives in Proverbs 22:6. It says, "Train a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not turn from it." Isn't that an awesome promise from God!

I may be tired this morning, but the perseverance of sticking to the schedule of events for today is so worth it! Although we did start out a little late, we are getting things done. I have had special time with my Lord, kids have done their chores and are now doing their schoolwork.  So glad I didn't go with my first feelings for the day and stay in that frame of mind - it is a trap from the enemy!

I am so grateful that God can renew my mind and my strength.  I will be trusting in Him today to do just that! Let me leave you with the scripture from Isaiah.

Isaiah 40:28-31
28 Do you not know?
   Have you not heard?
The LORD is the everlasting God,
   the Creator of the ends of the earth.
He will not grow tired or weary,
   and his understanding no one can fathom.
29 He gives strength to the weary
   and increases the power of the weak.
30 Even youths grow tired and weary,
   and young men stumble and fall;
31 but those who hope in the LORD
   will renew their strength.
They will soar on wings like eagles;
   they will run and not grow weary,
   they will walk and not be faint.

4 comments:

  1. I didn't know you wrote a blog! So happy to have figured that out! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Heather! Glad you found out, too! Sure did enjoy worship this morning! Thank you for serving in the choir and helping to lead our church to worship our risen Savior!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am right there with you except in a different season. My kids are all in school and have been for years. I do fine when I have a ministry event to plan. However, what to do with life when there is nothing going on? It is so hard to wake up and ENJOY 7 hurs of nothingness. I know.... many moms may find me spoiled and have it made. .Yes, I do. However, I get so bored with just cleaning, just the daily tediousness of life. But I believe if I would wake up ach morning asking God what He would have me do each day, I would find more fulfillment. I LOVE the drives to and from school when I get to talk to my children. But the in between is wher i struggle with right now. But I am praying or God right now to give me the desire to do the mundane things in life. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenn, I will be praying with you for that desire. I'm with you in that the big events are more fun sometimes! However, I think the things that we do as a wife and mother honor the Lord greatly - and set the mood in the home. One of my Bible study leaders taught me years ago to use the time of doing mundane chores as an opportunity to worship the Lord and to pray for my family. For instance when we are washing dishes, thank Him for making us clean. As we are cooking, thank Him for being the bread of life. As we are doing laundry, we can use that time to pray for the person whose clothes we're washing, etc. I don't always remember to do this, but usually when I find myself dreading those tasks, it helps me get them done with a better focus.

    You are like me in that there are probably only few times when some sort of big event isn't in the works! :)

    ReplyDelete