Tuesday, March 22, 2011

How am I treating those I say that I love?

I just finished reading Karen Kingsbury's This Side of Heaven: A Novel. I love reading Karen Kingsbury stuff! She helps put life into perspective. Without giving away too much, this book has made me not want to miss a thing in my kids' lives.  As I've been reading this book, I have been reminded of the importance of loving people "this side of heaven". I'm talking about REALLY loving them and listening to them. God has given me special gifts - my family and friends - and now I am made freshly aware to love them without passing judgment. 

I know that I need to take time to listen to those I love and to give them opportunities to tell me about their adventures, their dreams, their successes, and even their failures without the fear of being judged. As I'm reading this book and crying through the pages, I find myself thinking about what the Bible has to say about love in I Corinthians. 

I Corinthians 13:4-8a
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.  Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. Love never fails.

This is causing me to reflect and make sure that  I am loving others the way God intends for me to love. I have so many people in my life that I love, and I know that I do not always love them with the kind of love that was just described.  Sometimes, in the moments of conflict, it is really hard! But after reading this book and after being reminded that life with our family is a gift and we don't know how long that gift on this earth will last, I want to show this kind of love! I'm also reminded that I'm not to stand in judgment of their behavior. I'm to love them unconditionally and pray for them.

First let me say that without a personal relationship with Jesus Christ, it is impossible to carry out this kind of love.  I John 4:8 says that "God is love." Romans 5:8 says, "But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us."  God sent his only Son to pay the redemption sacrifice for our sins! That is the ultimate gift of love! Because of this amazing love, we can place our trust in Him and let Him love through us.  Please let me know if you want more information about how to give your life to Christ. You can click here to learn more.

Maybe it's time for a quick evaluation of our relationships:
 
How about you? Are you being kind and patient with those you love? Are you prideful toward someone that you love? Are you bringing dishonor to your loved ones? Are you self-seeking around them, looking out for your own interest? Are you easily angered with them? Do you bring up old conflicts from the past? Or do you try to protect, trust, hope in and seek to persevere with those that you love?

I pray that as we evaluate our relationships (gifts) that God has given to us, we will become more Christ-centered and show love the way He desires. If you struggle with this, ask God to help you show this love or to love through you. It is not in our human power to love someone when they seem unworthy, but it is our responsibility, our calling from Jesus who said, "love your neighbor as yourself."

I don't want to have any regrets when the day comes that I am separated from my loved ones in this world!

And I highly recommend this book - but make sure you have a box of tissues!

No comments:

Post a Comment