Monday, November 14, 2011

James - the brother of Jesus?

I am studying the book of James with the teenagers at my church. I will be spending some time blogging about what the Lord is showing me along the way. 

James introduces himself as a "servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ." What an example of humility! It is believed that the author of this book is the half brother of Jesus Christ. If Jesus were my half brother, I would probably introduce myself by saying, "Hey, I'm Susan, Jesus' sister." But that was not James’ description of himself. He was extremely humble and called himself a mere servant.

This leaves me in deep thought and conviction as to where my heart is according to my position. How do I introduce myself to others? It is usually, as Brad's wife, my kids' mother, a daughter, a sister, a friend, or even a youth small group leader. How often do I consider my title to be a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ?

I do seek to serve Him. I talk with Him daily. I spend time in His Word. I teach my children about the love of Christ and how to seek Him. I honor and respect my husband as head of our home. We try to teach, nurture, and train our children in the ways of the Lord. I honor my parents. I love my sisters, who are my best friends. I am trying to help my small group learn more about Christ and His love for them.

Jesus said to his disciples, "Whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers and sisters of mine, you did for me."

Because of this truth, I can say that I am serving Christ, when I am serving these others in my life. Therefore, I only need to see myself as James saw himself - a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ.

If I fix my eyes on Him and on serving Him alone, then I will be able to be a better wife, mother, daughter, sister, friend, and small group leader. Then my thoughts and ways will stay pure and focused!

This is what I am meditating on right now. What about you? Are you willing to label yourself as a servant of God and the Lord Jesus Christ? Let's serve Him together!

And to think that this is only verse one of the first chapter of James!

No comments:

Post a Comment