Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Summer Break

It is the time of year that we all get to take a breather from schooling! We have actually been done now for several weeks and have had lots of down time already.  I have played catch up on laundry and worked in the yard some (when we can get a break from the rain) and watched a lot of baseball and softball games and practices. But I have really not been focused on accomplishing anything for several weeks - and it felt pretty good... for a while. Now it is time for me to establish some sort of summer routine! I love free time, but my mind feels so much better when that free time is scheduled.  That seems like an oxymoron statment, doesn't it! Let me explain...

Like I said, I LOVE free time. But being a scheduler and an all or nothing type person, it seems that if I don't schedule my free time around the things that I need to get done, then free time runs rampant and my day is gone before I've had time to even consider what is for dinner.  So, it is time for me to think about what I want to spend my summer break doing!

1.  Visit with my parents
2.  Work in the yard/garden
3.  Blog
3.  Plan for next school year
4.  Play with the kids
5.  Exercise
6.  Go to the zoo
7.  Swimming
8.  Read, Read, Read!!!
9.  Take the kids to the park
10. Do NOTHING! :)

There is lots more I could add in there, but that is a good start!

In order for me to do these things, I must plan for them.  I will be establishing a new morning routine for everyone. This will be much less rigid than during school days, but we've got to make sure that the house doesn't fall to pieces! Also, I will be setting aside time to do my meal planning/grocery shopping as well.  It is my opinion that these are two important staples for a well run home. 

Once our morning routines are finished, then I say we can play the rest of the day! And if I have my meals planned in advance, I won't have to worry about coming up with something at the last minute before our evening events begin. 

Ahh... I can feel my mind getting clearer already! Just thinking about a schedule and routine helps me!

What will you spend your summer days doing? I'd love to hear what you have planned!

1 comment:

  1. Hey Susan!! Two thoughts: 1. I think we could have been separated at birth. Seriously. I love schedules, lists, meal planning, etc., etc. and think that I could have written this post. I have a list going in my mind of what I want to accomplish this summer. I just haven't put it on paper yet...because 2. We are not finished with school yet. We will be doing math and English until mid June. You are my hero that you've "been done for several weeks"!!

    ReplyDelete